Forestry has been an essential component of New Zealand’s Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS) since the very beginning. Forestry is New Zealand’s largest potential carbon sink and, as the ETS continues to grow in importance to NZ businesses, so does its investment future.
This year over 150 forestry and finance business leaders came together for Carbon Forestry 2012, the second ever event focused on carbon forestry and carbon trading opportunities. While 2011 set the scene, much had already changed and Carbon Forestry 2012 covered the essential updates and future direction for the industry.
“Carbon Forestry 2012 was a very specialised field and you attracted, by and large, an excellent range of speakers and a very high calibre of attendees“
Topics covered in Carbon Forestry 2012 included:
- What changes the Government are considering to the ETS
- Whether Australia's new carbon tax and future ETS will enable our two countries to work together
- Insights into the major international carbon markets, where they view forestry and whether this will affect Australasia
- What are the key investment opportunities within carbon forestry
- How can companies reduce their exposure to market risk
- Insights into iwi groups and their impact on New Zealand’s carbon forestry
- Case studies from the early movers
- The implications of political, economic and market uncertainty
- Demand and growth within the carbon offset market
“Well run, very relevant, thanks so much for organising it“
This event provided the financial and forestry industries with a much clearer understanding of how the market is operating, who the major players in the marketplace are and identified market and investment opportunities that exist through carbon forestry.
- Financiers & investors
- Carbon traders & brokers
- Forest owners, consultants and forestry professionals
- Large rural land owners (farmers)
- Maori groups
- Downstream industries (sawmills, pulp and water)
- Government, Policy & advisory bodies
- Equipment & technology providers
- Carbon markets associations
- Carbon offset market industries
NZ's Emissions Trading Scheme Explained
Coming Clean - New Zealand's Emissions Trading Scheme Explained from Lindsay Horner on Vimeo.